Monday 12 November 2007

First Dose Of Chemotherapy

Tomorrow Fintan is going into the John Radcliffe for his first dose of chemotherapy.

He will be having a hickman line fitted in his chest, this will be used to administer the drugs throughout his treatment and to take blood samples from. We are hoping to have a special line thing fitted (sorry, I can't remember the name). Normally the line has an exposed plastic end which can get pulled or in Fintan's case, probably sicked on! The other type is under the skin so is not exposed. The downside is that he will be pricked every time he has blood samples taken or when the drugs are administered, although they will numb the area with "magic cream" first.

After having the line fitted, if all goes well, he will have his first does of chemotherapy. Fiona will stay with Fintan over night, he will hopefully be allowed home on Wednesday.

I have to say, right now I am feeling very scared for my little boy, I get the feeling he is going to be braver than me tomorrow.

No comments: